Evolving from our plasma platform developed for the US Military, SPARC is a highly effective, patented process for the complete destruction of ozone depleting substances and other environmentally noxious chemicals. SPARC is the latest innovation from our team of engineers, scientists and technicians.
Refrigerants and other fluorinated chemicals (CFC, HCFC, HFC, PFC) that often have very high global warming potential (GWP) are fully cracked and safely eliminated using high temperature steam plasma. Already deployed for a major Canadian refrigerator recycler, SPARC can also be used to generate offset credits in the regulated or voluntary carbon markets.
Features & Benefits of SPARC include:
- More than “seven 9s” destruction efficiency ( > 99.99999% with R12).
- Treats R11, R12, R22, R134a, R141, halons and other PFCs.
- Available in capacities of up to 50 kg per hour.
- Lowest operating cost, with a quick return on investment (ROI).
- Small plant footprint.
Operating with steam plasma as a heat source, the waste is fed continuously to the two-zone plasma reactor. With a reactor temperature of over 1300°C, the steam plasma hydrolysis reaction quickly and efficiently breaks down the waste into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O). The gas stream is then rapidly quenched to prevent any reformation of dioxins and furans. Acid gases generated by the process are readily scrubbed out of the stream and neutralized, resulting in an offgas that far exceeds environmental regulations.
- BROCHURE – SPARC
- PRESS RELEASE: PyroGenesis’ Novel SteamPlasma Arc “SPARC” Destruction Systemexceeds 99.9999% Commercial Destruction of Ozone Depleting Substances – November 2013
- PROJECT – Refrigerant Destruction at a Refrigerator Recycling Facility, Laval, Québec, Canada
- TECHNICAL PAPER: “Destruction of Ozone Depleting Substances using Steam Plasma,” STEQ 2012.